When creating a form for your website, it is very essential to have a Email Address field to capture a way to communicate with your users. weForms allows you to add an email address field to any form which users can input their email address when submitting.
To add Email Address Field to your form as first create a new form by navigating to your WordPress Dashboard:
weForms→All Forms→Add Forms→Blank Form or choose a Template .
Once you are there, you can follow the below steps:
- Drag the Email Address field from the Custom Fields area to the form builder.
2. The Email Address field will be generated after clicking or dragging the field to the form builder
3. Field Options allows you to made advanced changes to your Email Address field as you desire.
Under the Field Options you will find the following:
- Field Label: This is the text that you will see on the form of the Email field. You can put any text here that helps to understand the use of this field.
- Meta Key: You can customize the meta key from here. However, a meta key is automatically generated according to the field label that you provide.
- Help Text: You can put a help text for this field to make the form user friendly.
- Required: This option allows you to make this field either required for submitting the form or optional.
Advanced Email Address Field Options
Under the Advanced Options, you will find the following options:
- Placeholder Text: You can add a placeholder text in this field. It is the field of text for HTML 5 placeholder attributes.
- Default Value: In this field you can add the default value for all the sections of Email Address field.
- Size: You can change the size of this input field the way you like.
- Field Size: You can also choose to keep the input field small, medium or large.
- CSS Class Name: It lets you to provide a container class name in the field for further customization.
- Dynamic value population: Being able to dynamically populate Email field’s value adds a certain amount of user-friendliness in your contact form. Here is the field option:
Check out the “Allow field to be populated dynamically” option to populate the field value of Email field. After having checked out, you will notice a field named “Parameter Name” popping out just underneath the “Allow field to be populated dynamically” option.
In order to make the field dynamically populated, enter a random parameter name of your choice and save the form. Next, you will have to use this parameter name in a filter hook or query string to make the Email field dynamic. Learn more about using the dyamic field population tool in weForms.
If you check the box then a user will not be able to submit a form data with the same email.
- No Duplicates (Unique Values only): Multiple submissions by the same user on a particular form can be a nuisance for you. To stop this from occuring, you can turn on the no duplicates option.
- Auto Populate: If you check out this field option then the logged in users will not see the Email field when they want to fill out and submit the form, the email will default to their account’s email address.
To see how it works, leave the “Auto-populate Email” field property unchecked. After that, save the form and preview it. Next, just fill out the form with testing data:
Hit, Submit Query button and you will see the following success message:
It means that your user is already logged in. Now, get back to the field property and check out the “Auto-populate Email”.
Hit the Save Form button and click on preview again. Now, the Email field will not appear since you checked the “Auto-populate Email” box.
Pro Features for the Email Address Field
- Conditional Logic (Pro Feature): This option enables you to set conditional logic to any field.
Congratulations. You now know how to use the email address field, and the various options that are available to you when creating a contact form. Next, you may want to learn more about adding a country selection list to your WordPress contact form or even adding an image upload to your WordPress forms.